Saturday, 30 June 2007

I can walk!!!

Jun 29th, 2007

This morning, I found that I could walk independently!!

I walked without supporting myself with a quad stick!!.

EVEN though the distance covered was short. EVEN though my right leg chosed to give way within a minute or so of the walking.

I was thrilled to bits to find that my therapist’s assurance that I would eventually WALK, came true.

His “prediction” came as a comfort and assurance when he noted my fear of being confined to a wheelchair.

Most importantly, I OWE MY RECOVERY to him, physiotherapist, Mr. Franklin Chng of Emmanuel Physiotherapy.

“Call me Franklin” he said as self introduction, when we first met, during the end of 2006.

Meeting Franklin was by chance/fate.

I had a dull ache in my left shoulder. I saw different doctors and Chinese "sinsehs" without improvement. Then I developed a pain in my left lower back, butt and leg. Finally a doctor decided to refer me to an orthopaedic surgeon at a hospital. He, in turn, referred me to the physiotherapist who would see me 2 weeks later.

Elder daughter, Peng, suggested that in the meanwhile, I should seek alternative treatment at the chiropractor. When I went there, the chiropractor's clinic was closed for lunch break. Just next door, Emmanuel Physiotherapy was opened.

Franklin, a tall, handsome, young man, greeted me warmly as I stepped in. I informed him of my symptoms and enquired whether Emmanuel Physiotherapy could treat me. He responded in the afirmative & brought me into one of the consultation/therapy room.

As I laid down onto the examination couch for his examination, I remembered being nervous. At home, any movement would bring on pain. I wasn't sure what he was going to do by way of treatment & whether it was going to be painful. Franklin, in his soft, gentle, reassuring and professional manner, put me at ease. He was very careful & skilful as he moved me/my limbs.

After the examination/assessment, he proceeded with massaging a certain spot on my neck. 5 minutes or so, later, my right shoulder was okay!! (Remember: It was troubling me for months & I'd been to various doctors & Chinese "sinseh" to no avail.)

The pain in my left lower back, butt & leg was reduced.

Over the months that I “worked” with Franklin, he never failed to smile, regardless of how hectic his clinic was. His boss, another pleasant, cheerful physiotherapist, must be making a bundle. Slowly, under Franklin's care and management, my pain was almost gone.

Then I developed a bad cough which led to an asthma attack that required my hospitalization.

Upon discharged, I found that the right side of my body decided on replicating my condition on my left! Talk about a double whammy!!

(To be continued)

No comments: