Tuesday, 12 June 2007

Confronted the “thing”, stood my ground n won

Hi,

Am much collected now. Able to recall how I confronted the “thing” (aka computer), stood my ground and won!

Looking back, it has been more than a year since I first switched on a computer.

My 2 darling daughters, on learning my decision to duel with the “thing”. CHEERED!

2rd daughter, Ling, offered to be my mentor and aide-de-camp for the duel.

In preparation for the confrontation, Ling, my daughter/mentor imparted to me, a glossary of new words. Mastering the glossary was a mega challenge for me as I have a short term memory.

Shortly into the turtoring, I asked: “what is “……” & “what is” …….” for the umpteenth times.

Ling patiently repeated herself and then suggested: “Before you forget, write it down in your own words, what ……… means”.

As I hurriedly attempted to scribble into my notebook, Ling exhorted, ”Wait, understand first, before you write, no need to rush”,

After 2 hours, I developed a severe headache, a bad attack of confusion and the desire to throw in the towel.

“I’m sorry mum, maybe I loaded you too quickly n caused u an information overload. Rest. Don’t push yourself. Duelling the computer can be fun.” came the reassuring response from Ling.

“I can’t” I whined.

“You can. Just don’t give up” said Ling.

“Yes! you can, por-por*” piped my ‘little darling’ (aka grand-daughter) shooting a clenched, little, 4 years old fist (She is 5 years old now) into the air — very much alike a motivational speaker whom I knew.

“Yes! you can” Ling & “little darling” chorused.

Then “little darling” broke into a dance and sang as she salsa around the room.

My headache broke, and my confusion cleared — like magic; as I enjoyed my ”little darling’s” song n dance.

“Yes! I can”, I echoed them. As I punched the air with a clenched fist, I added: “YES, I could n I would”.

“Ling, continue please.”

“Let me confront this “thing”, and take it on seriously”.

As I said so, I sat, with fresh determination, in front of the computer. THEN, with much grit, I switched on the computer for the first time.

After which, I turned to my “little darling” with a chuckle, a smug smile n the tongue in cheek comment: ”Heh, heh, I got it.”

From then, days turned into weeks and weeks into months.

Meanwhile, “Little darling” has turned 5.

During that period, Ling taught me “spreadsheet” and ”wordprocessing”. In the course of which, I once, accidently erased 2 hours’ worth of her hard work in one of her projects. My heart ached, when I noticed that she courageously fought back the tears that brimmed in her eyes as she remarked: ”I should have practised what I taught; and saved my work like I’ve told you”.

A few days after that incident, as I was practising on my computer, a dialogue box popped up on the screen.

I FROZE.

“Oh no, not again” I whispered to myself, as a knot grew in my stomach.

I called out anxiously, “Ling, Ling, I’m so sorry, I must have done something which I’m not suppose to do, again”.

Ling came to me, put her arm round my shoulder saying, “mum, relax”.

After taking a look at the screen, she explained that the dialogue box was a msg from the security software which was installed in the computer. The security software was reminding us to do some updating.

From then on, as in the cliche oft quoted, “It was history.”

I have confronted my fear of the computer, challenged it, stood my ground and WON!!!

PS *”por-por” is a Cantonese (Chinese dialect) term, used in addressing or refering to our maternal grandmother.

No comments: